Monday, February 26, 2007

Little gestures

I have thought much lately of our little gestures.

Waiting,

a boy in line hops on one foot, then the other, spins to touch his mother's cheek, and spins again to touch her other;

a man jitters his heel up and down while he waits for the receptionist to call his name;

a woman hugs her knees tightly and watches from the window seat.


Wishing,

a boy rushes to the window and yanks back the drapes;

a man reaches for his cellphone and checks the front display;

a woman leans her back and one bare foot against the door and listens.


Winning,

a boy skips along the sidewalk, pausing to take imaginary swings and make-believe major league wind-ups;

a man lets his head fall back against the chair and brings his fists up to his chest;

a woman touches her hands to her chest and neck, then stretches them up towards the sky.


I finally have decent news from my doctor and a plan for getting back in balance (gesture: swipe hand over forehead and let out strong whistling noise). Some changes to fix a blood deficiency, some therapy to regain some movement and feeling. I aim to reintroduce feelings in my hands and feet with a collection--a menagerie--of things. Like Amelie, I will partake in life's little pleasures--my hand in a sack of lentils, my feet up against a feather, or a light scrape of a stone or glass shard. When my children were babies, I would set them in the kitchen in their car seats and tuck little teasers under their noses and on their tongues and into their curled fingers--a dish of crushed ginger, a spoon of tart lemon juice, a bowl of prickly pine cones. I know how these things are done.

4 comments:

cK said...

Glorious.

Grand to know a course of action has been set in motion...and I adore the Amelie connection! That movie is my spirit.

Happy days to you, dear Editor.
-cK

juliloquy said...

Whew. We are relieved along with you. Having a plan feels so much better than waiting. All best wishes!

Night Editor said...

cK: Strolling along Peachtree Avenue in sunny Atlanta today, I pretend I'm French and I reach my hand out to touch all the street wares. Black folks here eye me with suspicion because, of course, I am not in France, nor do I look like the charming Amelie, and their wares are not lentils and eggplants but discount Prada and Dolce and Gabbana bags. Still, it is a grand thing to practice.

I've been ordered to eat more protein so at all these friendly southern restaurants I study the menus awhile, and then I shut them, look up, and declare "Meat!," bring me "Meat!"

Night Editor said...

julie: they say new med students become hypochondriacs once they realize all that can go wrong with their bodies, but I'm just relieved to know a little something and to know how to make it better. If only other things in life could be so predicted. . . . Happy days to you, too!