Sunday, May 23, 2010

Lunch Breaks


Last week I was determined to make the most of my lunch breaks, after a stint of lunching at my desk, in front of my computer, for what seemed like weeks and weeks. I'd get home each night feeling completely drained and you know what? I was.

So last week, with that beauty of a Minnesota spring still wowing us, I popped my bag lunch into my tote, with my book and my camera inside as well, and hiked to spots about town.

A favorite is the Kellogg Boulevard-side park of St. Paul's Central Library. If you can score a bench under a tree, you get a great view of the passersby--joggers and office workers walking and talking, out-of-towners taking in the sights. Out beyond, the High Bridge and a nip of the Mississippi River, and by your feet, the park birds skittering close to catch any extra crumbs.


I went twice last week, once to check out some books (Doris Lessing's The Golden Notebook and two of my favorite picture books, The Gardener and The Journey, by Sarah Stewart, both illustrated by David Small). There is a third, The Library, but it was checked out (as it should be!). The second time to share the spot with a colleague--and catch up on work news.

I felt renewed by Friday. I had explored the city a little (also had a fun sidewalk patio lunch at Cossetta's; a leisurely picnic on the grounds of the Capitol), got some exercise, and some fresh air and dappled sun.

This week--hmmm, I'm thinking of venturing farther. Irvine Park, Upper Landing, Lowertown's Mears Park?

4 comments:

julie said...

I want to have lunch with you some time! Wednesdays or Fridays?

Night Editor said...

Yes, either day. This Friday or next Wednesday or the following Friday! My work e-mail is down again but connect here or by Facebook and we'll make a date. Then you can tell me all about India--which I failed to ask you about at Meg's party but of which you are now posting photos on your blog!

julie said...

This Friday sounds perfect! Tell me when and where, and I'll be there. I will have to leave about 1:00, so it'll be a "working" rather than "leisurely" lunch.

(And the photos are better-late-than-never, huh? Sort of my way in the world, it seems.)

Night Editor said...

How about here at the History Center. We have a lovely outdoor patio. We can bag lunch it or get lunch at our Cafe here and bring it outside. Bring quarters to park in the meter spots on the Kellogg side of the building. My e-mail works now so you can confirm there: pamela.mcclanahan@mnhs.org