Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Mailing art and love

An author and friend has just gone through her first chemo treatment for breast cancer. She shopped at the American Cancer Society last week for a free wig, scarf, and hat. She'll lose her hair 18 days after her first chemo blast. She had a "port" inserted in her chest to facilitate the chemo. In order to shower after the port was inserted, she had to wrap her chest in Saran Wrap, avoiding the pain at the spot of the missing breast and the discomfort at the spot of the port. She speaks with frustration at the human indignities of her disease. She normally goes to yoga twice a week, works at the food shelf once a week, and teaches cooking classes on the side. She wonders, "Why should I cancel these things?" Yet, she's so tired she worries about wearing out. Did I mention she is 73?

I don't knit but I hear there is a pattern for a wonderfully soft knit cap you can make to wear at night that protects that soft little chemo-scalded scalp from brushing too hard against the pillowcase. Instead, I sent her a card with love and art from the wildly creative Susan Mrosek of Pondering Pool (www.ponderingpool.com). She has something like 50 different cards with all kinds of loving and empowering and damn funny truths.



Of course, I know a card isn't much. If she feels well enough, I'll take my friend to an early Valentine's Day dinner. I'll help her with her scarf wraps. I'll listen to her stories.

Cancer sucks.

No comments: