Monday, January 22, 2007

The State of Hockey


"Those were the days when everybody took their best dates to the Hip, rode a 10-cent fare, ate a beef dinner for a buck and saw Moose Goheen dump enemies into the fifth row for a 75-cent ticket." from Dimensions, a NSP newsletter

"Frank Goheen, the most spectacular player on the ice, carried the puck down alone, evaded, leaped . . . around some four of the Soo players. Just as he shot he was sent sprawling on the ice, but while he was sliding the puck shot past the astonished goal keeper." (Godin, Before the Stars, MHS Press, 2005)

And here's another perspective on the sport, from my son's first days as a 9-year-old goalie (he has since moved on to skate out as left-winger and defenseman).
"In my first season of Squirts, it was our third practice. Out of nowhere, Howard, our assistant coach asked who wanted to be goalie. I raised my hand. I thought I, me, was going to be goalie for Edgcumbe, my team.

"The next day Howard called and told me that I was goalie for practice. I was so excited. Later that day at practice I was really nervous. I thought I was going to miss every shot. When I was laying down getting dressed and people were walking by with their skates on I was afraid they would cut my fingers off with their skates. When I first got the goalie pads on I fell before I even got on the ice. It was embarrassing. When I did get on the ice I didn’t fall. Then Howard took me to the net. I was so nervous. I didn’t know how to do anything. First he told me where to stand. Then he shot pucks at my stick, all the time telling me to be a brick wall. Be a brick wall. He kept on saying it over and over again. I was tired and sweaty. Finally practice was over. I was okay but needed a little more work, Howard told me.

"When I got home I took a shower. When I went downstairs my mom, my dad, and even my sister asked me how goalie was. I told everyone that it was great but very tiring. It was the subject all day, even at dinner. Finally the day was over and I was able to go to bed.

"The next Sunday I was goalie again. Again I was afraid people were going to cut off my fingers when I was getting dressed. On the ice Howard shot the puck at my catcher and blocker. I was really good at those. At last, practice was over. I felt like an avalanche was going down my back I was so sweaty. I took a shower, did my homework and went straight to bed.

Two weeks later we had our first game, and I was goalie. We were playing Edison. I was nervous but also happy that they picked me for goalie. The team warmed me up by shooting from a U-shape. Then the game was under way. The first two periods I didn’t do much. When we started the third period were up 2–0. Nothing happened until there was only two minutes left. It was a 2 on 1. They got past our defenseman and shot. I was thinking “please don’t let them score.” I made the first save but then—rebound and goal. They scored with one minute left. The game was over at last. I felt like the world was falling down on me. I was so sad. I couldn’t believe I didn’t get the shutout."


Saturday was Hockey Day Minnesota and our town was crackling with the sound of sticks on ice. Boot hockey on backyard rinks, outdoor hockey tournaments, indoor games between longtime rivals. To start with the best of the best, try to catch the spectacular play of Gopher freshman Kyle Okposo, who honed his hockey skills at our local Groveland rink. For you out-of-staters who can't see a Gophers game, check out Okposo's between-the-legs goal at YouTube on the following post.

And then, take a fan's tour of our local action:

A glorious day for boot hockey

Boot hockey scrum







Annual Edgecumbe Squirt Tournament











Arriving early



Ponying up for three-minute line shifts

No comments: