Friday, November 09, 2007

Feed a Cold, Starve a . . .

I've got something like the flu so I'm home today. I woke at dawn and drank a mug of tea then fell back asleep until 10:30 a.m. The second I woke up I was hungry and I knew the teen kid downstairs would be hungry, too. (He's off for parent-teacher conferences.) I croaked out, "I'll buy you breakfast. Want to go out?" He emphatically yelled back a yes. I couldn't eat much of anything yesterday so I knew I couldn't pound back anything too greasy today, so I suggested one of my favorite breakfast joints: the Day by Day Cafe on W. 7th. It was perfect.



The kid ordered French Toast with a side of bacon and one over-medium egg. He likes to dunk his bacon into the yolk of his egg. And he got a glass of chocolate milk to wash it all down.

I got the steel-cut oatmeal with raisins and brown sugar, a croissant, and some chamomile tea. The kid picked out the tea for me after sorting through all the herbal selections in the tea caddy.

We shared the sports page and then he let me have a few bites of his French toast, which was made of large diagonal cuts of a soft French bread and soaked in the egg-and-milk wash long enough to make it taste both eggy and crisp.

The waitstaff, most/all of whom are in recovery (hence, Day by Day) are just the right kind of restaurant folk for a teen: not too much chatter or silliness and just the right attention paid to the small stuff (like being sure to ask if the kid wanted his milk with breakfast or before).

The place serves breakfast all day and into the night. If you're in the W. 7th St. neighborhood you should definitely stop down. Here's what a few critics have to say about the cafe:

"Besides breakfast which is served all the time, regulars and strangers mingle over hefty burgers, vegetarian salads in what is a one of a kind cafe in the twin cities, but which invokes waves of nostalgia among ex-New Yorkers and Chicagoans who know such a place in their neighborhoods of the big cities." -Gareth Hiebert- Minnesota Restaurant Review

"Do you like to sleep till noon? Breakfast whenever you want it is one of the charms of the Day by Day Cafe, an unpretentious restaurant in St. Pauls west end." -Entertainment Twin Cities

"Cook, Eat and be Sober." Minnesota Monthly

No comments: