Thursday, November 15, 2007

Jackson 5 - ABC (J5 Show)

As we were closing up at the office last night, one of my colleagues met me in the hall and said, "Do you think there will ever be a day again when we're not staring at screens?" We both had been in front of our computers editing all day. "Oh God, I hope so," I said. He said he planned to go to the gym and then buy himself a nice dinner at Saffron. I had no such plans; I was headed to Target to buy pedestrian things, but at least I'd be away from that damn screen.

On my drive over The Current was playing a rockin' list. I started to car dance on I-94 to The Quantic Soul Orchestra's funky beats in "Get a Move On." (We used to embarrass the kids by car dancing on the way to the lake. We'd jive with our heads and shoulders and hands so that the passerbys would take a second look. And if we came up on a deer crossing sign then we'd do the "deer crossing dance," a kind of prancing ahead with our arms bent forward like leaping deers. The kids would be hinding under their pillows and shouting at us by then.)

By the time I exited at Lexington Avenue the Jackson 5 came on and I was letting loose like nobody's business and a few of the Midway shoppers gave a chuckle when they glanced over. I used to dance to the Jackson 5 back in the 70s, wearing my big blouses and fitted vests just like Tito and the gang. There WAS life before these VDT screens (and bad nose jobs). Michael Jackson! Now he could dance. But I'm sure I'm going to get a chance to make all these dance moves pay off. Tomorrow night at First Ave.: Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings. Are bell bottoms still in?

3 comments:

Sassmaster said...

I car dance, too, my sister by another mister! So good. I bought one of the Dap Kings albums on which Sharon sings about a "brand new dance" called the Dap Dip. Binky (one of the Daps) says it's an epidemic that you get in your pants. And we're gonna catch it!

Anonymous said...

I await details from you two Groovy Girls. (And those boots kick ASS.) I'm with you in spirit from here on the couch!

Night Editor said...

elbee! Your little one is going to owe you big time for all this sacrificial couch time. I hope everything is progressing nicely. Hang in there!