Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Let's meet those clever University of Chicago Press editors, then

Speaking of editing, here is yet another reason to love the versatile comma, from the Chicago Manual of Style website, Q and As of the month:

Q. Is there a rule that I’ve missed somewhere that says there should always be a comma before the word “then” if “then” is at the end of a sentence? For example: It’s settled, then. Sometimes it sounds fine; other times it seems more like an obstacle to the flow of the sentence. But a rule is a rule, so if you can point me to the correct section in CMOS, I’ll stop turning up my nose at this construction.

A. It’s dangerous to make a rule saying that you always have to put a comma in front of a particular word, so we avoid doing that. The trick is to determine whether a comma is needed. In the case of “then” it’s rarely needed when the word means “at that time”; it’s often needed when it means “in that case.” The comma shows the meaning:

Meet me at the hot tub then. (Then = at the appointed time.)

Meet me at the hot tub, then. (Then = so, it’s decided.)

2 comments:

cK said...

Nerd alert! I love this entry.

Night Editor said...

Grammar R Us, then. Nice to hear from you, cK.