Wednesday, August 22, 2007

The rain stopped and we all smiled

Hello, all. I’m back from our 4-day trip near Elroy/Sparta, Wisconsin, with:

28 kids

2 bike crashes

1 flu-sick teen

4 inches of rain

12 drenched sleeping bags

2 really bad pup tents (along with 5 good, dry ones)

74 miles of bike riding, 1/4 of which were through sheets of rain

35 really sore tushes

1 late-night return bus breakdown on I-94

Wait . . . can I tell you a couple of hilarious fart jokes? We picked up lots of those, too.

I want to write "Priceless" here at the end of the list but I know we're all sick of that cliche. Let me just say the trip was a blast and the kids, well, okay, I'm saying it: they were priceless.


2 comments:

Sassmaster said...

OMG, I thought of you and chose to believe I had misunderstood your plans. "She can't be out in this rain with a bunch of kids! That's just not an option." Apparently I wrong. You are a Great American!

Night Editor said...

Somehow the rain, in hindsight, doesn't seem nearly as bad as this sore ass of mine. And I didn't mention the Rolling Rock we chaperones snuck in after curfew--which also eased the pain. Oh yeah, and the really terrific pie slices we bought at "Pies Are Square" (where the proprietor bakes squares of pie and cuts them into large triangles--blackberry, sugar cream,and a chocolate/oatmeal/Guinness pie, too)!