Thursday, August 16, 2007

Word of the Day, August 16, 2007

The Websters.com Word of the Day is rankle.

rankle • \RANK-ul\ • verb
: to cause irritation or bitterness in
Example Sentence: Rae Ann's snooty attitude and rude behavior rankled me, but I smiled to hide my irritation.

Did you know?. . . When "rankle" was first used in English, it meant "to fester," and that meaning is linked to the word's Old French ancestor, a noun that was spelled "raoncle" or "draoncle" and meant "festering sore. . . ."


This morning I tried to bake some meatballs (the things we do before work!) so my teen son would have something to nibble on for lunch. While the oven was preheating (and I was outside picking tomatoes), it started to smoke furiously--thick, stinky clouds of it poured up through the stovetop burners, like a Thomas the Train engine. When I opened the oven door, a big black pile of crud had flamed up. I quickly turned off the oven, opened some windows, and turned on the fan. Later I called my husband, who told me the teen daughter must have left the mess after cooking a homemade pizza yesterday. Did I tell you kids go back to school in a few weeks?

Example sentence: Their summer routines rankled the mother and so she made little notes to herself at the office: "Breathe. Take walk at lunch. Buy flowers. And gin."

5 comments:

juliloquy said...

As the aforementioned Thomas would say, "cinders and ashes!

Enjoy the gin.

Sassmaster said...

Mmmm, gin.

julie said...

At least it wasn't a leftover cookie sheet full of grease and charred chicken flesh from baking 124 wings for a son's graduation party a week back - not that I'd know . . . .

Night Editor said...

Juliliquoy: Of course you know to quote Thomas! I did a switch this afternoon and went for Summit ales. Mmm, did the trick. Sass: but still, a new bottle of Bombay would make a nice end-of-summer treat. Julie: Too funny. I've had those cookie sheet in oven fiascos, too! Another graduation party at your house! Whoo-whee. What are the prospects for the new grad now?

julie said...

The boy's doing something important-but-easy with Wells Fargo - a project that will probably result in more employment. More details at my personal blog (also blogspot but allonewordfirstnamemiddleinitiallastname) if you're ever interested.