Wednesday, April 18, 2007

But I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep

"We’re often cynical about how resolutions are never kept, but we shouldn’t be. Resolutions are perhaps lies, but they’re lies of good faith, necessary illusions. As long as we can make them, we are saved, we can control the chaos of destiny; it doesn’t matter that we break them and that others view us with skepticism. Every resolution is good simply because it is declared. It is a comedy, perhaps, but it keeps us sane."

From “The Temptation of Innocence: Living in the Age of Entitlement.”


I am determined to keep my resolution to collect my stories and submit them by the end of next week. Even if I just got eleven e-mails in a row from an author and then a request to meet now, "mano a editor," to see "where we are and where we need to go." (beats me! I'm still on e-mail #4) Even if my Sundays tend to be overwhelmingly full. Even if my son plays hockey eight of the next ten days.


So I'm going to sign off for a little while, coming up for air only to give you updates on the WRITING, not the dark green chive shoots popping up through the garden mess, not the new boxed rosé that the folks at Solo Vino are raving about, not the Twins pitching staff, who don't seem to be doing too bad, not too bad at all.

2 comments:

cK said...

See you soon.

Take even breaths. That's in. Inhale. Exhale. Slapshot!
-cK

Night Editor said...

You've done this before. Good advice; I'm practicing it now.