Sunday, April 15, 2007

Even when you wake up on the wrong side of the bed, there is much to praise

7:45 a.m.: Curse husband under breath for waking me before eight with loud hand-dishwashing. Curse self for being ungrateful. Curse effects of PMS.

8:00 a.m.: Read another chapter in girly book "The Reading Group."

8:30: Husband brings hot chai tea and Sunday paper to me in bed. Praise husband for good deeds.

9:30: Eat French toast and bacon with son and husband. Discuss buying new baseball glove for under $100. See wrens peek out of birdhouse. Say, "Look the birds are mating," and watch my son drop his fork and crane his neck to see.

10:00: Blog, read blogs, fix blog, comment on blogs. Hear son say, "Whatcha doin'? Bloggin'?" Praise son under breath for giving me good boy quotes.

10:45: Give young son foot and hand massage; he says they are sore. He used to wear shoe prosthetics; maybe its time to have another pair fitted. Together we count his bruises and scrapes. A rare closeness since he turned thirteen. I tell him he has to wash his hair before dinner with our old friends Owen and Marilyn tonight. He tells me he knows what he wants to wear, maybe to ward off any of my suggestions.

11:00: Field phone call from husband out shopping for new baseball glove with son. Approve glove purchase of $181.00.

11:10: Check bank balance online. Do quick math.

11:30: Wash dishes, put away clean clothes, tidy up bedroom. Think about getting new eyeglasses. Daydream about traveling . . . to Puerto Rico, maybe?




11:40: Eat another piece of chocolate caramel from St. Paul's Caramel Queen. Curse under my breath that it will be the last one of the weekend. Of the week!


11:50: Remember my friend Sharon's birthday is today. Think about her coming over to St. Paul to celebrate next weekend. Then remember another friend's birthday is today, too. Two tax babies. Spring girls. Fresh as daisies. Admirable women both.


Noon: Call daughter at college to say hello. Wake her up. Feel her cursing me under her breath.

1:00: Stop by local garden shop to browse through pansies, bleeding hearts, and lots of phlox.


2:00: Watch tail end of Twins v Tampa Bay. Watch a lot of swings and misses and curses under breath.


3:30: Buy new school pants for son, after he blew out his on a rock playing dodgeball in the dark. See counting of scrapes at 10:45 above.


4:00: Neighborhood walk filled with good cheer. Two-year-old calls out "Bye-Bye" to every passerby, which is pretty astute when you think about it, since no one really stops to chat. Two teens double dutch on a ten-speed. Honda Element drives by with the painted slogan, "Dr. Computer. Help is on the way!" Praise spring under my breath.


5:30: Watch son's last bit of baseball practice. Drive out to Woodbury to have dinner with our friends, a dear old couple who are now in their eighties. Praise both son and husband under my breath for their gentle ways with them.


9:45 p.m.: Crawl under quilt layers with book again. Give praise for these full days.

6 comments:

Sassmaster said...

Nice post!

cK said...

Holy crow you pack it in! My Sunday would involve the noting of something like, "Read lazily" and then, 30 minutes later, "ibid."

Maybe somewhere in the mix would be "Check Cubs score. Curse."

Hours later, "Meet up with girlfriend. Drink wine."

Lovely post, Night Editor.
-cK

juliloquy said...

Yup, I love the normal day posts. And I took special notice of the "rare closeness" part. While we were at a pet store over the weekend, Shmoo was really clingy to me, asking me to pick him up. He's 34 pounds and with my pregnant belly growing, it's getting tougher. A bystander said, "Isn't it great to be so needed?" I sort of rolled my eyes and said "sometimes." But I know I need to appreciate his closeness now because he'll be Tim's age in 10 short years.

julie said...

Oh, my friend, your life is so full and wonderful (as is your writing about it). I've gotta do more praising, both under and over my breath.

Night Editor said...

Happy Birthday, Juliloquy! Hope things are better, Sass (I like to think of you as a new teen-bop magazine). Nice to hear from you cK. (Will Mark Prior ever get healthy?) And long time no see, Julie. How goes it for you? Soon--Zoe--yes?

julie said...

Soon Zoe yes: May 1. Yipee! Hi to Megan, too.