Thursday, April 19, 2007

POM POMS #2


Last month I highlighted a book. This month a place. Mmmm, a glorious place. It is called The Dwelling in the Woods (320-592-3708).


The Dwelling, located on beautiful land near McGrath, Minnesota, is a hermitage retreat. I stayed there last spring for a long weekend of writing and reflection. I got "The Meadows," a homey cabin surrounded by the woods on one side and a lovely meadow on the other. I was treated to amazing, mostly vegetarian food (you can eat your meals in the companion of others or take your meal wrapped back to your hermitage), and a welcoming fresh-baked loaf of the Dwelling's famous bread. I took a hot bath in the claw-toothed tub at The Octagon, which also has a nice library and a reading nook at the top of the stairs, a meditation space--with drums (drums!). I took hikes on the walking trails in the nearby Solana State Forest. And I wrote and wrote and wrote and wrote.



I wholeheartedly recommend it. You can go it alone. You can bring a friend. You wouldn't believe how rejuvenating it is.

1 comment:

cK said...

Envious.

Lovely idea. Thanks for sharing it.
-cK