Friday, October 05, 2007

A different kind of Friday Night Lights (and Thursdays, too)

Of all the memories I have of my grandparents, none are of them dancing. But my mom and dad, they love to dance. (You may recall that great pic of my dad as a young teen dancer here.) See this charming vignette, "Friday Evening Accordian Jazz Dance Night, Milan," from The Sartorialist, a street fashion/photography blog by Scott Schuman. He writes,

"Understand, these were not a lot of 70 year olds, these were a lot of 17 year olds trapped in 70 year old bodies. I mean, i wish i could just say this to you because i will never be able to type or articulate in words what I saw. Their faces ... their joy ... their youth. It was people moving past the physical and living on the emotional. There was joy, there was fun, their every look, every flirt, every expectation you could [have seen] at a senior prom. Immediately I was struck by this gentleman in the top image. He wasn't so much dancing with this woman as he was speed walking, but he was there, he felt it, he was in the moment."

Well, we're Minnesota, not Milan. But you can see the same kind of grace and even a little Scandinavian flirting at the Social Ice Dances at Parade Ice Garden every Thursday night this fall. Take in an after-work drink somewhere near Loring Park, then head over to Parade (near the Walker Art Center) to enjoy the dancers waltz on ice. I love the old gents the best. (If you join in, your first session is free.) My grandma wouldn't have ever gone out there but she would have loved the scene.

(Photograph by Scott Schuman for The Sartorialist)

No comments: