Friday, January 04, 2008

"I read, I edit, I pine." (six words) Or, "I live my life on Saturdays." (six words) Or, "The perfect gift for Valentine's Day? (count 'em, six words)



A Minnesota writer and recent Loft Mentor series winner, Rachel Hanel, is one of a thousand writers included in the forthcoming book, Not Quite What I Was Planning: Six-Word Memoirs from Writers Famous and Obscure. The book, which includes such biggies as Dave Eggers and Joyce Carol Oates, is published by Smith Magazine, and here is their pitch (you can also try your hand at your own six-word life story on their website):

_________________________________________________
Six Perfect Words

Legend has it that Ernest Hemingway was once challenged to write a story in six words. The result was "For sale: baby shoes, never used."

Since SMITH celebrates the personal side of storytelling, our twist on this classic concept is the six-word memoir--the short, short true story of your life. It could be the title of your autobiography, or maybe your epitaph. Shorter than haiku and meatier that a one-liner, it truly makes you take stock of who you are. Try it.

"Me see world! Me write stories!" – Elizabeth Gilbert
__________________________________________________

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good stuff. That Hemingway example has always been a favorite. I'll have to see if I can summon some creativity and brevity and give it a go.

I like (or at least relate to) "I live my life on Saturdays" the most.

Cheers.