Friday, January 11, 2008

"Oh sure. They say she's gonna turn cold tomorrow."**

We finished my son's second high school application last night. If you've been through this before you'll know what I mean when I say he was lying on his back, his head upside down over the side of the ottoman, his arms dragging behind him on the carpeting, and he was saying, "I don't know what to write. Really, I have no idea what to write."

Part of one of his application essay answers was this:

"The person I admire the most is my dad. He was the first person in his family to go to college and he worked hard to make a better life for himself. He got married and had two kids and tried to make our life better than his was. He coached in all my sports up to 6th grade and I feel he has made the most impact on my life, more than any teacher or family member."

Awww.

Then I had a little meltdown--and I promise it had nothing to do with my not being most admired, really--because the printer connection was unplugged and it was late and I was too tired to figure it out. I'm surprised my son didn't sneak back into his Word document to add a footnote, "*the person who I think freaks out too much is . . . ."

One more application to go on Monday and then the kid will take his placement test. His first choice for high school is just two blocks away and is a school he's been admiring and hoping to be part of for years.

Now, I'm off to Fargo, with a carload of moms and a couple of Highland hockey teams for a big Bantam tournament.

**Quote from the movie "Fargo" (1996)

No comments: