Monday, May 07, 2007

Man of Many Seasons



I think it's true. It's true what they say: I dated you for your legs. "What do you see in that wild man?" they asked. "Are you kidding? Did you see those broad shoulders, slim hips . . . and the legs on that fellow?"











And then we went hiking, and fishing, and biking, and dancing, and carrying on--and you brought me those foil-wrapped campfire dinners on Parents' Night with my camp kids and wrote me a love letter on a big wad of state park paper towels--and I got to know the full sides of you, and one weekend we gave each other Indian names, or so we thought, and I called you Man of Many Seasons because I thought you were like Heathcliff and you gave me the name, without even pausing, "One with Own Path." And I think that was the clincher. That and those damn fine legs.

Happy Birthday, big fellow. And many more to come!

2 comments:

juliloquy said...

Oh, now that I see young K I can see how there's some of him in Tim, too! Love the photos and the sentiments.

Night Editor said...

Yes, very much so. And also things not seen, like beautiful moon-shaped nails and ribs built like a whiskey barrel.